The Department came into being in 1921 as a unit of the Faculty of Agronomy and Forestry of the Poznan University. Its founder and the first head was Professor Julian Rafalski. Afterwards, the following scientists were in charge of the Department:
- Professor Stanislaw Stryla 1949 - 1971
- Associate Professor Zbigniew Gadzinski 1971 - 1987
- Doctor Boguslaw Kaminski 1987 - 2000
- Professor Antoni Miler 2000 - 2017
- Professor Andrzej Czerniak 2017 - present
In the period 1970 - 1981 the Department functioned as a part of the Institute of Forest Utilization and Forest Engineering, being one of its three units. At present, the Department is one of 10 departments of the Faculty of Forestry of the Poznań University of Life Sciences.